By A.C. Rose
Feeling bummed out, disappointed, and worried about the future? Overwhelmed by social media that is filled with fear and anger? Although we are all entitled to our feelings and opinions, it is important to pull away from negativity and focus on life’s pleasures.
Sometimes the best path to healing is small acts that bring back peace, rejuvenation, and a refreshed attitude.
Here are 19 simple things that you can do in five minutes or less to restore a sense of hope.
1. Take a dance break. Turn on your favorite music and dance. Shake the stress out of your body.
2. Jump in the shower. Refreshing water can help melt away worries and wake up your mind.
3. Go for a walk around the block. Breathe in fresh air and enjoy the changing pace as you move through different blocks, neighborhoods, or parks.
4. Make a happy list. If you feel low, lift your spirits by writing a list of the things that make you happy, and take a moment to remember why.
5. Search for inspirational quotes. Words of wisdom can do wonders. Go on the Internet to find quotes on happiness, motivation, and possibility.
6. Put yourself on the beach. Watch a film clip or video — or look at a photo — that transports you there. Or go there if you can.
7. View a snippet from a favorite movie. Don’t have time to watch a whole film? Find many of your favorite scenes on the web for quick viewing.
8. Listen to music. Play a piece of music that enlivens you and wakes up your system.
9. Use scents. Aromatherapy can relax and uplift people, but a favorite perfume or essential oil can too. Surround yourself with smells that make you feel good.
10. Call a friend. A quick chat with a bestie can help put things in perspective.
11. Sip your morning brew in quiet. Get up early to take a brief break for tea or coffee as you greet the day before everyone else in the house does.
12. Throw stuff out. Grab something (or more than one thing) you’ve been meaning to ditch, toss in a garbage bag, and get it out of the house. You may feel a lightness of being.
13. Make someone’s day. A short call to an elderly loved one or someone less fortunate can help you forget your own troubles.
14. Meditate briefly. Five minutes of quiet can do a lot of good. Just focus on your breathing and relax.
15. Enjoy a work of art. Whether it’s in your home or something you spot online, get lost in the beauty of an image you adore.
16. Enjoy a waterfall. If you can’t sit by a waterfall, find a video online and let the sight and sound of water calm you.
17. Smile. You cannot be upset when you smile. Try smiling even when you are feeling bad.
18. Laugh out loud. Sometimes all you need is a few minutes of something that makes you crack up to chase a blue mood away.
19. Have an orgasm. Anyway you choose!